Our winery is in S.Stefano di Valdobbiadene, at the heart of the area of production of Prosecco di Valdobbiadene e Conegliano, and we make mainly sparkling wine.
It is a family-run business which employs the owner, Valeriano Bortolin, his children and some workers.
We like to date the history of the company back to 1542: in that year Treviso State Archives record that Zan Bortolin, a wine grower living in S.Stefano di Valdobbiadene, was cultivating 17 allotments and produced 20.5 “conzos” of wine (a conzo is about 100 litres).
More recently, between the First and the Second World War, Valeriano Bortolin (namesake of the current owner) took part in fairs and competitions in several Italian cities and, thanks to the quality of his wines, he was awarded medals and certificates which are now treasured at the company seat.
Back then wines were sold locally, in the nearby cities of Treviso, Padua and Venice; part of them were sold in demijohns and part were bottled.
As from 1950, Valeriano’s heirs began to equip their winery in order to obtain sparkling wines through the Charmat method; they bought the first autoclaves and modern bottling machines.
Since then they have been modernizing their wine-making methods and equipment, in a continuous search for quality which aims at innovation but still remains faithful to traditions.
Currently, the company has 20 hectares of vineyards divided into various allotments which go from the area of Cartizze to Valdobbiadene, through the municipalities of Farra di Soligo and Follina and get as far as S.Pietro di Feletto, near Conegliano. Besides owning vineyards, the company also buys grapes from trusted winegrowers from the Valdobbiadene area. On the whole, every year it produces about 300 thousand bottles of sparkling wine, above all Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore DOCG (in its Dry, Extra Dry and Brut varieties) and Valdobbiadene Superiore di Cartizze, but also an Extra Brut wine, called Vigneto del Convento, made from a grape blend of Glera and Chardonnay, and finally a still white wine, called “Conz”.